There are one hundred and eleventy gagillion recipes for spinach and ricotta pie. Duyvken recently made a version that I have been valiantly trying to recreate ever since – it was not as spinachy as normal and so so simple. The picture below is a variation on her recipe. I, of course, couldn’t help varying it. I added too much stuff to it and while it was delicious if you want a oozy creamy concoction then follow the basic recipe.
In the picture below there is also 2 shallots, kernels from 1 cob of corn, several sprigs of mint and dill.
Spinach and ricotta pie
- 8 sheets filo
- melted butter
- 1kg ricotta
- 1 large bunch silverbeet, washed, cut finely
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup parmesan, grated
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Brush 4 sheets of the filo with melted butter and line a baking dish
- Combine the ricotta, silverbeet, 2 egg yolks, cheese and seasonings then tip into the filo
- Brush the remaining filo with butter and place on top of the filling
- Brush the top of the final sheet with butter and scatter over poppyseeds
- Bake for 40 minutes or until nice and golden and a knife inserted in the middle of the pie comes out nice and hot.