OK, I made this for the first time yesterday and am about to go and make another batch. I’m going to put it in a bigger tin so it goes thinner because essentially this is like a florentine and well, me and florentines go way back.
I can’t remember where I got this recipe from – it’s one of those ripped out of something a lifetime ago so apologies to the originator but thanks as well. My life is so much better for having this recipe in it.
I hadn’t bought enough pistachios so I threw in some pecans. So good. So very very good.
Honey Nut Slice
- 250 g butter
- ⅔ cup caster sugar
- ⅓ cup honey
- ⅓ cup cream
- ⅓ cup brandy
- 300 g flaked almonds
- 150 g shelled unsalted pistachios or your nut of choice, I more often than not use pecans
- 100 g dark chocolate
- Preheat your oven to 200C and line the base and sides of 19x20cm (or thereabouts) tin, then grease it well
- Melt the butter in a saucepan then add the sugar, honey, cream and brandy
- Bring it all to the boil
- Remove from the heat and stir in the nuts
- Pour it into the tin and bake for 25 minutes or until the top is golden brown
- Remove from the oven and let it cool
- Melt the chocolate and then drizzle it over the top
- Refrigerate and then cut into bite size pieces - store in the fridge.
- Eat yourself into a diabetic coma.