So I made these a year ago and then promptly forgot I had ever done such a thing. Bizarrely last week Felix said, remember when you made spring rolls, and I was all, NEVER! Then, serendipitously I fell upon the very post where I talked about them.
These are easily vegetarian – just omit the chicken mince (derr) – or turned into a pork version by using pork instead of chicken mince (double derr).
Yes, rolling 40 spring rolls is painful but this is where having 100 kids becomes useful. Sure they might not look perfect (there are spring roll perfectionists who insist they must be tighly and very evenly rolled – no hanging over the edges – so they don’t absorb too much oil) but I only shallow fry them and they sure turned out a treat.
- 10-15 shitake mushrooms, stems removed, thinly sliced
- 100g rice vermicelli noodles
- 500g chicken or pork mince (optional)
- 1 tsp ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 carrots, peeled and julienned
- 4-5 Chinese wombok cabbage leaves, finely shredded
- 2 tsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 160 ml water
- 120 ml white vinegar
- 100 g caster sugar
- 1 to 1½ large telegraph cucumber
- 1 red chilli (optional)
- Cover the noodles with boiling water and sit for 6 minutes or until soft
- Drain really really well - you want to try and avoid a soggy filling
- Combine all the vegetable ingredients in a large bowl - mix it all together, have a taste, add some more mushrooms or carrot or cabbage if needed/desired
- Heat a wok, add a dash of oil and then fry the mince until browned and any liquid that cooks out of it has evaporated
- Add all the vegetables and sauces and stir until well combined and cooked through
- Let it cool a bit until it's easy to handle
- Take a spring roll sheet and then follow the instructions on the packet! (how's that for methodology!) There are also great you tube clips off it if needed.
- Heat about 1cm of oil in a frypan then cook in batches over a mod-high heat - they will only take about 3-4 mins
- Bring the water, vinegar and sugar to the boil and the sugar has dissolved, remove from the heat
- Cut the cucumber lengthways and scrape out the flesh the cut up into small dice
- Combine and leave to cool.