finallyÂ recently bought Smitten Kitchen‘s cookbookÂ which is as good as I had hoped. I have followed her blog for as long as I can remember and have never ever had a recipe of hers fail. In the cookbook is a version of this using cranberries for the festive season.
This slice is divine, plain and simple. A basic shortbread base that is also scattered over the top of the blueberries. I’ve made this with apple and rhubarb (that I’d stewed previously) and blackberries and every time it turns out a treat.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 cups plain flour
- zest of 1 lemon
- 225 g butter
- 1 egg
- juice of 1 lemon
- 4 cups blueberries
- ½ cup sugar
- 4 tsp cornflour
- Preheat oven to 180C and line a 20x30cm pan
- Using a pastry cutter (or your fingers) blend the sugar, baking powder, plain flour, lemon zest with the butter
- Then add the egg
- Mix the juice, sugar and cornflour together in a bowl then toss through the blueberries
- Press half the dough into the baking tin
- Top with the blueberries
- Scatter over the remaining dough
- Bake for 45 - 60 minutes, until the top is nice and golden and the blueberries are bubbling.