A big day.

with 17 comments

Somehow this:

turned into this:

I know! HOW THE HELL DID THAT HAPPEN. Well a hell of a lot of angst was involved, a fair amount of nights lying awake, a shitload of therapy, several snake0il dabblings and in the case of the parents a significant consumption of alcohol. That I know. But we’re here! We made it to the next BIG milestone.

High School.

Most of you are aware that Oscar is attending St Edmund’s School in Wahroonga. A special ed high school of the most special order. Go visit that website and tell me you’re not moved. Inspired. Blown away.

Yesterday was Day 1. Yesterday was also 4o+ degrees celcius. Oscar doesn’t do heat well so it was that more than anything else I was worried about.

More than the fact he’d been up at 11pm asking if it was time to get ready, then up at 3 and by my bedside showing me he was all dressed in his uniform and ready to go, and then, well, that was it. He was up at 3am.

He couldn’t eat and anyone who knows Oscar will know that speaks volumes about the kid’s nervous excitement.

His bus was due at 6.50am. Of course it arrived at about 7.25am.

Meet Mrs J. Mrs J has been hanging around with the special kids too long so talks to everyone as if they were special. A few times I felt like saying, ‘no, no, it’s my son with the brain injury not me’. Imagine one of those filibustering creatures who flap around in mass confusion while trying to create the pretence she knows exactly everything that’s going on. Seriously that Oscar even makes it to school let alone home from it is evidence greater forces are at work here than the law of physics.

And then, just like that, he was off!

I must say I did not shed a tear. I did not come undone. I was pretty relieved actually. AND MAN did I enjoy the silence that followed for the rest of the morning.

Then, at about 2pm, in the middle of Myer in Chatswood where we were hanging out in air-conditioning I turned to Chef with a quiver in my voice and queried if he thought Oscar would be OK.

Of course Chef looked at me like the bloody idiot I was being and reassured me that yes, Oscar was fine.

And here’s the thing, we had an awesome primary school experience but there was always an element in me of waiting for the phone call about some thing or another. About going on an excursion and would he be OK etc.

But here, at a high school specifically for kids just like Oscar? I have implicit trust and complete piece of mind. I mean, complete.

And I realised that in the almost 13 years he has been in this world, that was a first for me.

and just like that he was home.

A big day for all of us.


Written by allconsuming

February 2nd, 2011 at 8:53 pm