It’s that time of year, Anzac Day is just around the corner (25 April). This is a trusty Women’s Weekly recipe, yep, the one I’ve been making since 1985 or some such nonsense. There’d be photos but I’ve made two batches in the last two days and the boys scarf them before I can get the shot.
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup desiccated coconut
- 125 g butter
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- ½ tsp bicarb soda
- 1 tbsp boiling water
- Preheat oven to 150C
- Melt butter with golden syrup
- Dissolve bicarb in boiling water then add to the butter mixture
- Combine dry ingredients
- Pour wet into dry then roll into balls the size of small walnuts
- Press down slightly when placing on the tray
- Bake for 20 minutes in the slow oven.