It’s summer in Sydney and nothing says it’s hot in the city better than a pav.
- 4 egg whites
- pinch of salt
- 250g caster sugar
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp white-wine vinegar*
- few drops pure vanilla
- Preheat oven to 180C and line a baking tray with baking paper
- Beat egg whites with salt until satiny peaks form
- Add the sugar a tablespoon at a time**
- Sift over the cornflour and add the vinegar and vanilla and then fold through gently
- Mound onto the baking tray into a 20cm circle
- Place in the oven and immediately drop the temperature to 150C.
- Cook for 1 hour 15 minutes, turn the oven off and leave the cool completely
Tips: if syrupy drops for on the surface of your meringue you’ve overcooked it; if liquid oozes from the meringue it’s undercooked – it’s a trial and error process with your oven.
* I just use standard white vinegar
** Stephanie’s recipe stipulates a third of the sugar at the time