I know I know, the pregnant crank needs to be put in a box and I need to say a quiet prayer of thanks for all I have. I haven’t seen The Miracle but I get it OK.
The cooking frenzy continued today with the making of meusli. Granola to be exact. Inspired by Nigella. Of course.
500g rolled oats
125g sunflower seeds
100g brown sugar
200g hazelnuts, roasted for 10 minutes at 180C and skins then removed (I know, a hassle but so worth it)
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
175g apple sauce (I made stewed apples – as in Granny Smith green apples, sliced thinly, and stewed with a little water on the stove until soft)
120g golden syrup
4 tblsp honey
2tbslp sunflower oil
dried apricots and apples, cut into small pieces. I didn’t weigh these, probably 125g apricots and about 80 of the apple.
– preheat oven to 170C
– mix all the dried ingredients, except the fruit, together
– mix all the wet ingredients together then mix through the dry
– spread mix onto two baking trays.
– Bake for about 40 minutes, turning once half way through
– Cool, then fold through dried fruit.
– Serve with milk, yoghurt, fresh fruits or whatever takes your fancy.
– Store in an air-tight jar.