The best roast potatoes EVER
Granted, I didn’t use the 700g or so of goose fat Nigella recommended, just several good lugs of olive oil, but OH MY, these were so good. (I have since made it with the 700g of duck fat and DEAR GOD it should be a crime for potatoes to taste that good.)
- Preheat the oven to the hottest it can be, with the tray you’re going to use in it.
- Peel about 1.5kg of potatoes and cut them into thirds, on an angle. As in, imagine the potato lying on the cutting board in front of you. Then cut on an angle from the middle down to the left and down to the right, so you get three pieces.
- Put in a saucepan with cold salted water. Bring to the boil and cook for 4 minutes.
- Put the oil or goosefat into the tray and let it get nice and hot.
- Drain the potatoes well.
- Add 2 tablespoons of semolina to the potatoes.
- Put the lid back on and give the saucepan a good shake.
- Carefully tip the potatoes into the hot oil.
- Cook for about an hour, turning after about 25 minutes.
I could seriously have eaten the entire lot on my own.