Jasper was 10 months old yesterday. To celebrate, my period came back.
I spent about f.i.v.e. hours at soccer this weekend. To discover that no, it isn’t over, we are playing next weekend to make up for one of the rained out weeks. The equivalent to water torture for us idiot breeders who attempt to engage our children in physical activity and team sports…
I made the most yummy dinner this weekend. And it kind of took me by surprise:
6-8 lamb chops
salt and pepper
2 onions, sliced
1-2 carrots, sliced thickly
1/2-1 cup pearl barley
– preheat the oven to 180C
– coat the chops in the seasoned flour
– heat the oil in a frypan, brown the chops in batches
– remove chops to a casserole dish or enamel pan
– deglaze the frypan with the red wine
– add the onions and carrots and saute until browned
– add to the chops
– scatter over the pearl barley (the above measure is a pure guess – I just poured some over)
– add some of the flour from dusting the chops to the pan and cook-off
– add the stock gradually, stirring to remove/avoid lumps
– cook until slightly thickened
– pour over the chops and veggies
– I added some basil leaves at this stage
– cover with a lid or double layer of foil
– Cook for 1.5-2 hours.
I served it with some green peas. It was magnificent.
The only thing worse than getting your period after 19 months of not having it – is it arriving late on a Sunday night and having only one tampon of questionable age and panty liners. The morning is going to require me to be the McGyver of sanitary products.