The first time I saw this recipe I refused to believe it was so easy. It comes from Jamie Oliver’s 15 minute meals book and I’ve used it time and time again. He creates a great chicken dim sum recipe with them but the buns were a bigger hit than the chicken in my house. There’s a great cucumber pickle he served with it though which I’ve put below.
The main thing to remember with these is to not over mix them. Jamie does it in a food processor (for speed basically) but I generally do it by hand because washing a food processor is a bastard of a thing I actively try to avoid.
Think of it – loosely – like a scone dough. Bring it together, form a log, portion it and voila!
- 1 400g tin coconut milk
- 2 heaped cans full of SR flour
- Good pinch of salt
- Tip the coconut milk into a bowl
- Add the flour and salt and bring together into a dough
- Tip onto a floured benchtop, roll into a log, then break into 8 even pieces
- Place each piece into a muffin case and put them into a bamboo steamer, they should be quite snug
- Put a wok over high heat and fill about 10cm deep with water, bring to the boil
- Put the steamer over the top of the water and cook for 10 minutes
- IT'S THAT EASY
- 1 telegraph cucumber (or 2 Lebanese cucumbers)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar (or white vinegar)
- Peel the cucumber into long strips using a vegetable peeler or slice very thinly
- Mix with the soy and vinegar
- THAT'S IT!