Two of my favourite desserts are tapioca (sago) served with a palm sugar syrup and coconut cream or this, black sticky rice served with mango, a squeeze of lime and coconut cream.
You will need to start it the day before to allow the rice to soak, but apart from that nuisance it comes together easily.
I double this because there is a chronic fear in this house we might run out of food. It makes a fair amount but it means there’s some left for the next day.
- 200 g black glutinous rice
- 1 ltr water
- 150 g palm sugar, shaved
- coconut cream
- Soak the rice over night
- The next day drain the rice then combine with the water and bring to the boil
- Simmer for 30 minutes, covered over a low heat
- Stir in the palm sugar
- Simmer, covered, until nearly all the liquid is absorbed
- Serve with coconut cream and mango