It seems ludicrous to give you a potato salad recipe. I mean, thousands of them already exist and mine changes basically every time I make it. But this one is a bit of a dinner winner.
A deeply comforting potato salad with tangy and sweet dressing.
- 1.8-2kg potatoes, whole and unpeeled
- 10-12 strips of streaky bacon
- 2-4 green shallots/spring onions, depending on size
- 6 eggs
- 200g mayonnaise
- 4tbsp buttermilk
- 2tbsp maple syrup
- 1tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 heaped tsp seeded mustard
- good pinch of salt
- heaps of freshly cracked pepper
- Boil the potatoes until a skewer easily goes through them
- Drain and let cool
- Peel the skin off and cut into dice or rounds, whatever takes your fancy.
- Cook the bacon until quite crispy (think you want to be able to crumble it or roughly chop it into smallish pieces)
- Slice the shallots/spring onions thinly
- Hard boil the eggs
eggs in cold water, bring to the boil, boil for about 9 minutes
drain and run under cold water until they're cool enough to handle
peel while the water keeps running over them
- Grate the eggs on the fine side of a box grater
- Gently mix everything together
- Mix everything together, have a taste and adjust as needed (sometimes I add more vinegar)
The flavours develop if you can make it ahead of time and let it sit in the fridge
- Add about ⅔rds of the dressing to the potatoes, have a taste, had more dressing until you get a coverage and consistency you like.