I absolutely adore cinnamon and will consciously try to work it into as many dishes as humanly possible. Having said that, the overnight waffles are still the favourite in this house but these come in a very close second.
Now I know some of you are going to read the recipe, see you have to whisk the egg whites and move right along. I know this because I was one of you. The reason ricotta pancakes never get a work out in this house is for that very reason, having to separate the eggs and whisk the whites. But here’s the thing, it takes about three minutes. Three. So just do it ok? Ok.
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- 1¾ cups buttermilk*
- 2 eggs, separated
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- Combine all the dry ingredients
- In a bowl whisk the eggwhites until soft peaks. So you're not trying to make meringue, but you want it to stay in the bowl if you tip it upside down
- Mix everything together except the eggwhites
- Gently fold in ⅓ of the whites until well incorporated and then the rest.
- Cook according to your waffle machine instructions.