So over the past few years some of my US online friends have talked about a festive season treat called peppermint bark. I was intrigued and then I saw this. I’ve been waiting all year to make it and it hasn’t disappointed. At all.
Three-Layered Peppermint Bark
- 500g white chocolate (not cooking chocolate and make sure it is good quality w/ cocoa butter content)
- 30 red and white striped candy canes, crushed
- 200g dark chocolate (again, not cooking chocolate)
- 8 tbsp cream
- 3/4 tsp peppermint essence
- Use the back of a large flat baking tray and mark out a 12×9 inch rectangle.
- Melt the white chocolate and spread 2/3 cup of it over the rectangle using a spatula or palette knife
- Sprinkle over 1/4 cup of the crushed peppermint canes and chill until set – about 10-15 minutes
- Combine the dark chocolate, cream and peppermint essence until just melted then cool to barely luke warm – about 5 minutes
- Pour over the white chocolate and then use a palette knife to smooth to an even layer then refrigerate until firm – about 20 mnutes
- Rewarm remaining white chocalate then, working quickly, pour over the dark chocolate layer and spread to cover.
- Sprinkle over remaining crushed candy canes and chill until set – about 20 minutes.
- To cut, pull it out of the fridge for a little while – I found cutting it while really hard just resulted in the layers splintering from each other.