So Thursday afternoons are challenging as the bigger boys have swimming lessons which involve me trying to keep track on two little boys in the vicinity of three very busy swimming pools while trying to be the attentive parent to the boys in the pool swimming their ever-growing lungs out.
It also means we don’t get home until 6pm so it has become, by default, slow cook Thursday with me getting something in the oven at around 2.30pm to slow cook until we get home. This week I just made up a beef casserole because people, if I had to eat chicken or pasta one more night I was going to eat my own head.
The amounts are a bit fluid – sorry about that.
Old fashioned beef casserole
- 3 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1.5kg chuck steak, cut into cubes
- plain flour
- salt and pepper
- 2-3 carrots, chopped
- 4-6 potatoes, chopped into medium sized chunks
- good handful or so of button mushrooms, cut in half or quarters for larger ones
- 1 litre beef stock
- Season the flour with salt and pepper then toss the meat in the flour
- Heat a little olive oil and brown the meat in batches
- Remove from the pan and add another dash of oil then saute the onion until nice and soft and goldeny
- Add the garlic and cook off for a minute or two
- Then add the carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, stock and water
- Bung on the lid and put in a 180C oven and cook for about 2 hours. If you need to put it in earlier then cook it at 150C for as long as you like really.