Well I wasn’t going to post this recipe for a while (it’s down on the list somewhat) but BabelBabe mentioned that she makes pie crusts from amaretti biscuits for her lemon tart recipe so I had to get this up toot sweet.
Don’t you think there is something infinitely comforting about custard? This is quite the grown-up number with the biscuits providing a lovely textural counterpoint to the silken baked custard underneath. Listen to me sounding all fancy.
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup cream
- 1 cup strong, freshly brewed espresso
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 100ml dark rum
- 100g amaretti biscuits, finely chopped
- Combine the milk, cream, coffee and sugar in a saucepan and heat for five minutes
- Combine the eggs and alcohol and then pour the heated milk mixture into it, stirring constantly
- Mix in the biscuits
- Pour into ramekins or one large dish
- Put the dish into a baking dish and add water to half way up the side
- Cook at 160C for 45-50 minutes
- Cool to room temperature and then refrigerate, it will keep for two days