With Oscar’s 10th birthday next Monday, these will be making an appearance on Sunday at the family barbecue to celebrate this landmark event.
Jelly cakes are the best. So much fun to make (I actually cope with the mess with these and let the boys do the jelly and coconutting) and they are just tasty little pop in the mouth bundles of goodness that can not do anything except put things right in the world.
The cakes need to be made in those shallow little cupcake tins – like a Madeleine tin I guess but without the ridges and round. Now I’ve typed that I’m thinking you could easily use a Madeleine tin. Anyway, go crazy with different coloured jelly if you must but either way, get yourself and your kids in the kitchen and make these little rays of sunshine and think of my beautiful special little guy.
From Kylie Kwong’s tv program
- 125g butter
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups SR flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Cream butter with sugar
- Add egg
- Fold in flour, milk and vanilla
- Spoon into greased patty-pan tins
- Bake for 10 minutes
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 packet jelly crystals
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 2 1/2 cups dessicated coconut
- Make the jelly in a shallow rectangular tray with sides and chill for 2-2.5hours
- When the cakes are cooled and the jelly is sort of half set, roll cakes in the jelly, then in the coconut, which you’ve got in another tray with sides.