So Muppinstuff posted this slice yonks ago and recently mentioned it in her list of 25 things that shit her to tears, and considering I started that meme it made me all nostalgic and proud. It’s the kind of slice you’d find at a school fete or on offer at the school cake stall you find when you go to vote. Next to the sausage sizzle.
Anyway, it is bloody delicious.
I’ve made it twice in the last 10 days.
And people swoon over it saying things like, ‘oh, I haven’t had this in years‘.
- 1 cup SR flour
- 1 cup dessicated coconut
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup crushed Weetbix (on my measuring this is four Weetbix crushed up in your hands)*
- 120g butter
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 3 tbsp cocoa
- Preheat oven to 180C and line a 20x20cm square tin with baking paper
- Mix dry ingredients together
- Melt butter and golden syrup together
- Mix wet and dry ingredients together, it can be a bit crumbly so combine with hands if necessary
- Press into a slice tin and bake in a moderate oven for 30 minutes
- Ice (see below) and sprinkle with coconut
- Refrigerate until cool then remove from tin and cut into squares
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tsp butter, very soft
- 2-4 tbsp boiling water
- Sift the icing sugar and cocoa into a bowl
- Add the butter and 2 tbsp of the water and beat, adding more water to get a fairly runny icing
- Pour over the slice and turn the pan to get it into the edges
- Sprinkle over some dessicated coconut
- Refrigerate until set.