So for the better part of the last 20 years I’ve been faithful to the Womens’ Weekly recipe for choc chip biscuits and they have done me proud. But an American friend of mine made some that just seemed better and she gave me the recipe. From what I can tell it is essentially the same recipe but in bigger quantities.
I made them and dotted a few Smarties on the top. And people, I might as well have invented choc chip biccies.
- 1 cup butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 21/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups choc chips
- Smarties to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line baking trays with greaseproof paper
- Cream the butter and sugar
- Add the vanilla and the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition
- Add flour and baking powder
- Stir through choc chips
- Take heaped teaspoons of dough and place on baking trays, leaving a little distance between them as they’ll spread
- Press four Smarties into the dough
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly browned then cool for a few minutes on the tray before moving to a wire rack.
This makes a LOT of biscuits. The friend the recipe came from used to roll the dough into two logs and freeze one for a later date. She’d also then refrigerate the other one before cutting rounds and baking. But when you feel like biccies, who has time for refrigeration.