Nigella attributes these to Elinor Klivans and her book Big Fat Cookies, so technically this might not be a Nigella recipe, but you know, she has it in her latest cookbook Nigella Express so I’m taking it as legit.
These are not so much biscuits as saucers. It makes 12 chocolate plates or 24 biscuits.
- 125g chocolate, minimum 70% cocoa
- 150g flour
- 30g cocoa
- 1tsp bicarb
- 1/2tsp salt
- 125g butter
- 75g light brown sugar
- 50g sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg, cold from the fridge
- 350g semi-sweet chocolate morsels or dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 170C
- Melt the chocolate in a double saucepan on the stovetop or in the microwave
- Mix the flour, cocoa, bicarb and salt together
- Cream the butter and sugar together
- Fold in the chocolate and then add the egg and vanilla
- Mix through the dry ingredients and then the choc chips
- Using an icecream scoopp, scoop out 12 equal-sized mounds on a lined baking sheet about 6cm apart. Do not flatten them
- Cook for 18 minutes and let cool for 4-5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
I used white chocolate chips as I didn’t have dark chocolate ones.