Moroccan slow roasted lamb shanks
- 2tsp olive oil
- 6 lamb shanks
- 2 onions
- 2 carrots
- 2 sticks celery
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1tsp ground coriander
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 2 tbs plain flour
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 cup dried dates
- 1x4oog tin crushed tomatoes
- pumpkin, cut into chunks
- 1 sweet potato, cut into chunks
- Preheat oven to 160C
- Heat 1tsp of the oil and brown the shanks all over, then place in roasting dish
- Heat remaining oil and sweat down the onion, carrot, celery and garlic
- Add the cumin, coriander, tomato paste and flour and cook for a minute or so
- Add the tinned tomatoes and then fill the can with water three times, adding to the vegetables.
- Add the cinnamon stick and dates
- Pour over the shanks
- Cover tightly and cook for 1.5 hours
- Add the pumpkin and sweet potato, cook covered for half an hour
- Remove cover and cook for final half an hour, turning shanks and pushing pumpkin and potato into juices so they get covered and mooshy.
I served it with some finely chopped coriander and finely grated lemon rind.
* I had some home made concentrated vegetable stock in ice cubes, I normally do a cube to a cup of water, so I threw in about 4 ice cubes to the almost litre of fluid. If you’re using stock powder just follow their instructions or add about a litre of liquid stock.