Baking is my absolute joy. It’s strange I haven’t posted that many sweet recipes on this new venture, but I put that down to Boombalardy being in full swing. This is a wonderfully simple buttercake. I am prone to calling it a lunchbox loaf cake as it holds is form well, freezes beautifully and is well, a great lunchbox treat.
- 250g butter, softened
- 250g caster sugar
- 250g self raising flour
- 4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 170C and grease and line 24cm cake tin (I made two mini loaves as you can see in the pic above)
- Beat all the ingredients together in a KitchenAid for 3-4 minutes
- Pour into tin and bake for 45-50 minutes
- Cool in tin for ten minutes then turn out onto wire rack
- Ice when cool
This cake is extremely versatile. Add some frozen berries or the finely grated rind of a lemon or orange or some chocolate buttons to shooz it up.
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1 tbs butter, softened
- lemon juice or water to loosen
- Mix the icing sugar and butter by hand, adding juice in small amounts until you get a thick but workable icing
- Ice cake