Suse did a wonderful thing for me the other day. She alerted me to the existence of Krista at bigandlittle who, like me, has three boys, and is expecting her fourth child as well. Get this, her third is 10 days older than Jasper and her due date for this one is the same as mine. She’s been having some grief as well during this pregnancy – tooth and money related – and well, we all know how much I love the phrase “misery loves company”.
Anyway, she posted the other day about a nearby German bakery where she got the freshest, most delicious doughnuts. And me? And doughnuts? Well, its a love hate relationship – in that I really really love them, but only want the best, not the chain store variety. And in Australia, finding that is like near impossible.
But the latest Donna Hay magazine – a creation that also shits me because enough of chicken breast with lemon zest, all photo shoots looking the same and pasta presented in neat little hills – had a recipe for cinnamon fritters and when I saw it, I thought, YUM. But as a rule, I don’t deep fry at home. I mean, effort vs reward and all that.
1 cup caster sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup caster sugar
1 cup plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
vegetable oil, for deep frying
– mix the sugar and cinnamon together and set aside
– mix the egg, milk and sugar together
– fold in the flour and baking powder
– heat the oil in a wide deep saucepan (I used a wok) over a medium heat
– drop teaspoons of the mix into the oil and deep fry for 2-3 miunutes or until golden
– drain on absorbent paper, then toss in the cinnamon sugar.