Oscar came home from school last week so excited. On his library day, he got two books – one on knights, the other a Donna Hay cookbook for kids titled “Cool Kids Cook“. And indeed they do.
Donna Hay Thumbprint Cookies
(but now referred to in our house as Oscar’s jammy thumbprints)
- 180g butter
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup SR flour
- 1 1/4 cup plain flour
- raspberry and apricot jams (or whatever you prefer)
- Preheat oven to 180C, grease a biscuit tray
- Cream the butter and sugar
- Add the egg
- Fold through the flour
- Roll dessert spoons of dough into a ball and flatten slightly
- Place on the tray then press your thumb into the middle to make a hole
- Spoon in a tsp of jam into each thumbprint. The boys seemed to like the Apricot ones better, go figure.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until the biccies are golden. (In our oven it was more like 15-17 minutes)
- Makes around 18.
I like the idea of making grown up versions of this with wholewheat flour and jams like a fig jam or something similar.
They’re quite large biscuits – big discs – and really really good.
I’d post a photo if I could be bothered. But, you know …