Joke mentioned his wish for a bottle of this to be in his freezer a few months back now. Suse emailed me with a request on behalf of a work colleague, so I’ve finally got my act together to bring it to the blog.
2x750ml bottles of vodka, the best quality with the highest alcohol content you can find
2 cups water
2 cups sugar
– remove the yellow part of the peel, carefully avoiding any of the white pith. This sounds pedantic but is quite important.
– Put the peels in a jar or bottle and add one of the bottles of vodka. Seal tightly.
– Leave the bottle to steep until the peel loses its colour (a minimum of two weeks).
– Boil the water and sugar together until the sugar dissolves. Let cool.
– Strain the vodka from the peels.
– Mix all the vodka and sugar syrup together.
– Seal tightly and let sit for at least a week.
– Store it in the freezer.