This week’s obsession is clearly going to be this.
This weekend was absolutely sensational. Highlights include:
– torrential rain for most of the weekend
– brekkie at the Fox yesterday with the boys and – because of the rain – not many others.
– an impromptu trip to Manly Aquarium with the Doodles. Then dinner at the Harbour Diggers, too much spontaneous, unplanned fun.
– three children who still whinge, fight, cry, wake me during the night, but for some reason, at the moment, my chest feels like it’s going to explode with my love for them.
– brekkie today at the Fox (again) with my natural father, his wife, their kids, and a few hangers-on for their son (my half brother!) because he’d had a sleep over for his 13th birthday.
– making a sensational dinner tonight – fennel and prawn risotto and a delicious dessert – chocolate sludge.
Prawn and fennel risotto
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, smooshed
- 1 good-sized bulb of fennel, finely chopped
- handful flat leafed parsley, finely chopped
- 1 (big) glass white wine
- 5-6 cups stock
- 500g (or so) raw prawns
- salt and pepper
- heat the olive oil and butter
- saute off the onion and garlic
- add the fennel, cook for a little while
- add the rice, cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or so
- add the wine, stir until all absorbed
- add the stock about a cup at a time, stirring occassionally as it absorbed
- stir through the parsley about half through the stock additions
- at the end, stir through the prawns – they’ll cook quickly purely from the heat of the rice
I know that normally you add parmesan to risotto, but I didn’t have any, and it was delicious regardless.
This comes from a very dear friend of mine who I don’t see nearly often enough, Sook. It’s quick, it’s easy, but most importantly, it’s probably the best self saucing pudding you’ll ever taste.
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 tblsp butter, melted
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 160C, grease a smallish baking dish
- mix together the flour, baking powder, caster sugar and cocoa
- stir through the butter and milk
- the batter is very thick, scrape into the baking dish
- scatter the brown sugar and cocoa over the top, pour over the boiling water
- bake for 40-45 minutes.
- serve with vanilla ice cream.
Hello Aurorix, the drug that makes your bits go zing…
Can I just say, it is really quite bizarre to go from zero sex drive – I mean z.e.r.o., zilch, not-a-nadda – to having your bits start to randomly tingle. Seriously, I’m like “so this is what it must feel like for every pubescent boy that walks the earth, without the physical humiliation”.
Anyway, lets just say we’re back on the bike and Chef has quite a kick in his step and twinkle in his eye.
I’m so addicted to Rockstar I’m feeling jittery and edgy in anticipation for this week. I’m betting the entire internet a dollar that Toby will get the gig.
My Mum goes on her swanky cruise this week. We spent much of last night and tonight sitting online looking at the ship (it gave her a virtual tour of her room – she’s so excited she has a full-size bath!) that we’re all so excited for her. I’ll give you updates – obviously – over the next three weeks, but she’s going to Libya, Malta, Turkey and Egypt and looking at lots of old stuff.
- True love :: Chef
- Age :: is no boundary
- Stern :: voice
- Elastic :: is my friend
- Rustic :: is how I cook
- Enhance :: my looks
- Jackson :: my half brother
- Inherit :: the earth
- Devious :: mind
- Scapegoat :: coward
You can play too!